Firenze Santa Maria Novella (in English Florence
Santa Maria Novella) or Stazione di Santa Maria Novella - Firenze SMN is the main national and international train station in Florence, Italy
. The station is used by 59 million people every year and is one of the busiest in Italy.
It is at the northern end of the Florence–Rome
direttissima, which was completed on 26 May 1992 and the southern end of the Bologna
–Florence Direttissima, opened on 22 April 1934. A new high speed line to Bologna opened on 13 December 2009. The station is also used by regional trains on lines connecting to Pisa
, Bologna and Faenza
The station was designed in 1932 by a group of architects known as the Gruppo Toscano (Tuscan Group) of which Giovanni Michelucci and Italo Gamberini were among the members; the building was constructed between 1932 and 1934.
The building is one of the key works of Italian modernism, but has little to do with the Italian Rationalism movement, being more strongly influenced by the Viennese architecture of Loos and Hoffman, with perhaps a nod to Wright; but it is the building's complete originality that makes it outstanding.
Near platform no 8 is a memorial plaque in remembrance of the train loads of Jews who were deported from Italy to Nazi concentration camps during World