College Green is a three-sided "square" in the centre of Dublin. On its northern side is a building known today as the Bank of Ireland which until 1800 was Ireland's Parliament House. To its east stands Trinity College Dublin, the only constituent college of the University of Dublin. To its south stands a series of 19th-century buildings that are mostly banks. A major street, called Dame Street, enters the square from the west.
College Green has been used as an assembly point for major political rallies. In the mid 1990s, United States President Bill Clinton addressed a mass crowd, during his Irish visit. President Barack Obama spoke there in a major address during his visit to Ireland on May 23, 2011.
Three major public monuments stand in College Green. A 19th century statue of Henry Grattan, one of the leading members of the old Irish Parliament, stands facing Trinity College (though the statue is badly obscured by planted trees). Further back stands what is generally perceived as a poor statue of patriot Thomas Davis; because of the deformed body shown and out of scale hands, the statue has occasionally been nicknamed "Frankenstein". Previously, that was the location of one of Dublin's finest equestrian statues, of King "Billy" (William of Orange) on Horseback. It was blown up by Irish republicans in the 1930s.
College Green Bus Corridor:
As of July 2009, College Green, during peak times, is accessible to pedestrians, buses, taxis and cyclists.