Clerys is a long-established department store on O'Connell Street in Dublin, Republic of Ireland, a focal point of the street. The business dates from 1853, however the current building dates from 1922, having been completely destroyed in the Easter 1916 Rising. Clerys completed a five-year restoration programme in 2004 at a cost of €24m.
The history of Clerys began in May 1853 when Mc Swiney, Delany and Co. opened ‘The New or Palatial Mart' on the site of the present store in what was then Sackville Street. In 1883, the premises was taken over and renamed by M. J. Clery (d.1896), a native of Bulgaden, Co. Limerick. William Martin Murphy was also involved in the business. Clerys was bought out of receivership in 1941 by Denis Guiney (1893-1967) for £250,000. The receivers were Craig Gardner & Co. Denis Guiney died in 1967 and his widow, née Mary Leahy, continued to be Chairperson until her death on 23 August 2004 at the age of 103 years.
Today, Clerys also owns Denis Guiney's original business, Guineys at 79 Talbot Street, and operates three home-furnishings stores under the brand name "Clerys Home Furnishings" - in Blanchardstown, Naas and Leopardstown.
A large clock with two faces hangs above Clerys' central doors on O'Connell Street (opposite the statue of Jim Larkin). "Under Clerys' clock" is a well-known rendez-vous, both for Dubliners, and visitors from the countryside, and is famous in the city's culture as a place where many romances begin. In 1990, on the fiftieth anniversary of Denis Guiney taking over the store, a new clock was installed.