Baggot Street is a street in Dublin
. It is named after Baggotrath, the manor granted to Robert Bagod in the 13th century .He built Baggotrath Castle, which was partly destroyed during the Battle of Rathmines and demolished in the early nineteenth century.The street was called Baggot Street in 1773.
It runs from Merrion Row (near St. Stephen's Green) to the northwestern end of Pembroke Road. It crosses the Grand Canal
near Haddington Road. It is divided into two sections:
- Lower Baggot Street - between Merrion Row and the Grand Canal. It was called Gallows Road in the 18th century.
- Upper Baggot Street - south of the Grand Canal until the junction with Eastmoreland Place, where it continues as Pembroke Road.
Lower Baggot Street is distinguished by Georgian architecture, while Upper Baggot Street has mainly Victorian architecture with a few buildings of 20th century vintage. Cook's Map of 1836 shows the north side of Upper Baggot-street and Pembroke Road almost entirely built on. The Royal City of Dublin Hospital, Baggot Street is on the east side of Upper Baggot Street, just south of the junction with Haddington Road. It was opened in 1834.
Baggot Street is also known for its many pubs, and is home to the "Baggot Street Mile", a pub crawl which consists of having a pint in every pub on both Upper and Lower Baggot Street and some of the adjoining streets, usually at least twelve pubs in number. Depending on the variation, the Mile usually starts at the Den (at the Landsdowne Hotel, actually on Pembroke Road) and ends at the Pembroke, O'Donoghues (Merrion Row) or The Horseshoe Bar (at the Shelbourne Hotel, St. Stephen's Green). The Baggot Street Mile is a traditional route for the Twelve Pubs of Christmas pub crawl.