Surabaya Zoo (Indonesian Kebon Binatang Surabaya or KBS), also known as Bonbin (abbreviation of Kebon Binatang, Indonesian for "zoo"), is a 15-hectare (37-acre) zoo located in the city of Surabaya in East Java, Indonesia.
Surabaya Zoo was established by decree of the Governor General of the Netherlands East Indies on 31 Agustus 1916 as Soerabaiasche Planten-en Dierentuin on the merit of the journalist H. F. K. Kommer who had the hobby of collecting animals. In 1916, the first Surabaya Zoo was established in Kaliondo.
On September 28, 1917, the zoo was moved to Groedo road. In April 1918, Surabaya Zoo sold tickets to enter the zoo. In 1920, the zoo was transferred to another new location in Darmo area, on a plot of land measuring 30,500 m2 belonged to the Oost-Java Stoomtram Maatschappij (steam tramway company of East Java).
On July 21, 1922, the zoo experienced its first financial crisis and there was a plan to disestablish the zoo, but the decision was not agreed by the Surabaya municipality at that time. On May 11, 1923, it was decided to establish a new association for the zoo. W. A. Hompes was chosen to replace J.P. Mooyman, one of the early founder of the zoo. In 1927, the zoo was financially aided by the mayor of Surabaya, Dijkerman. With the help of People's Representative Council of Surabaya, on July 3, 1927 a new plot of land was bought for Surabaya Zoo, measuring 32,000 m2, from a plot of land owned by steam tramway company of East Java.