Also known as 'Borpukhuri', this large tank was built by Queen Madambikaand, who was the wife of King Swargadeo Siba Singha of the Ahom Kingdom. Named after her husband, this tank covering an area of about 257 acres was built in the year 1734.
This large dam was constructed by the Ahom Kings three centuries ago, and is originally slated to be 64 feet in depth. With an artificial embankment which has raised the surface of water to a height of around forty feet from the surrounding plains, most of the shoreline around the Sibsagar Tank is home to a variety of present and historical tourist attractions in this ancient town. Surrounded by deep ditches and earthen moats, this region is a heaven to the Siberian migratory ducks during the winter season.