Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University (RTMNU), formerly known as Nagpur University, was established on August 4, 1923 in the city of Nagpur in the Maharashtra state of central India. Named after Tukdoji Maharaj, its focus was in teaching languages of India, including Sanskrit, Marathi, Hindi and Urdu. The institution has offered a medical degree since 1947. The university was divided on May 1, 1983, when some of its facilities were rededicated to the creation of Amravati University. It has been accredited with the highest, 'A' Grade by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). It is now labeled as one of the toughest universities in the country due to its strict assessment and extremely high standards of academia. It has been consistently ranked among the best universities of India.
The Nagpur University was established on 4th August, 1923 with six affiliated colleges and 927 students. During 1947, the number of students increased to about 9000 accompanied by the improvement and diversification of curricula and expansion in the range of subjects. The expansion of library and sports facilities occurred during these years for the intellectual and physical well being of the students.
It was in 1958 that some new Departments in Arts and Social Science faculties were opened; the major expansion, however, came in 1963 when several science and other teaching Departments were started. The Departments were shifted to spacious buildings in the main campus in 1972-73. In later years, several career oriented courses have been started viz., Business Management, Fine Arts, Mass Communication, Library Science, Physical Education, etc.
In 2012 the university was again divided to part way for the proposed Gondwana University.