Raigarh is the administrative head-quarters of the district bearing the same name. Before independence, it was the capital of the princely state of Raigarh. The attraction that sets this town apart are the numerous painted caves in its vicinity. The first set of cave paintings in Chhattisgarh was discovered in 1910 by W A Anderson. Since then many other cave paintings were discovered between 1923 and 1927 by other archaeologists.
Some of the significant cave paintings are in the area around Singhanpur, 20 kms from Raigarh on the Raigarh-Bilaspur highway. The paintings in Singhanpur are among the oldest in the region. The prominent images here are of elongated male figures, animal motifs, mermaids and hunting scenes. On the rock face on the outskirts of the village of Basnajhar, 17 kms south-west of Singhanpur, over 300 paintings have been discovered. The paintings include a beautiful series depicting a ritualistic tribal dance. Scholars have pointed out that such dances have survived almost unchanged among the tribals of this region even today.
Around 8 kms east of Raigarh, on the rocks of Kabrapahar, lies another body of paintings, most of which are saffron in colour. Paintings in Kabrapahar are better preserved than the ones at Singhanpur. Apart from images of animals like wild buffalos, turtles, geometrical patterns can also be seen.