Nalbari is a town and a municipal board in Nalbari district in the Indian state of Assam. Nalbari town is also the headquarters of Nalbari District.
In the early part of the twenties a railway station of the Assam-Bengal Railway Company had been established here. As the train started running through, certain traders and businessmen from outside the state came and interacted with the local people. Business transactions were started on the rail station road. The Nalbari M.E. School had been started in the meantime to the Gurdon School site, and it was upgraded into a High School named Gurdon High School in 1917. Both these two events attracted the people to throng to the area which had changed its shape and size. It became a strong business centre with great growth potentials in the whole of the north bank of the river. Migration started in a significant way. Population increased, administrative offices were started gradually and in 1931 it assumed an urban look.
In 1941 it was declared as one of the town in Kamrup district with a town committee with a population of 3578. In 1945 the Nalbari College was started in a temporary shed and in 1950 it was shifted to its present site which helped in the growth of the Bidyapur-Shantipur area of the town into a densely populated area. The establishment of the PWD offices on the Palla road, led to the growth of the Gopalbazar area. In 1968 Nalbari was upgraded into a subdivision with headquarters at Nalbari and in 1984 it was made the district headquarters of Nalbari District, all of which led to the upsurge of development process with huge population migration, primarily of local people.
Educational opportunities in Nalbari are of high quality. It boasts of producing most number of toppers in School level. Nalbari is famous for Sanskrit education and known as "Nabadeep" for presence of various Sanskrit education institutions.
Nalbari is on NH 31 in North and connected to Hajo Doulashal Road in South. It has a Railway Station.