Morbi or Morvi is a city and a municipality in Morbi district in the Indian state of Gujarat
. It was a Princely State ruled by Jadeja clan of Rajputs until Indian independence in 1947. It is situated on the Kathiawar
peninsula.Its chief products are cotton and grain. The town is a railroad junction. The town of Morbi is situated on the river Machhu, 22 miles (35 kilometres) from the sea and 60 kilometres from Rajkot
The city-state of Morbi and much of the building heritage and town planning is attributed to the administration of Sir Lakhdhiraji Waghji,who ruled from 1922 until 1948. Sir Waghji acted as a ruler, manager, patron and policeman of the state with great authority. Sir Waghji, like other contemporary rulers of Saurashtra, built roads and a railway network (of seventy miles), connecting Wadhwan
and Morbi and the two small ports of Navlakhi and Vavania, for exporting the state's production of salt and cloth. The Morbi railway station combines Indian and European architectural elements.
The most important Morbi buildings are Darbargadh, Mani Mandir, Wellingdon Secretariat, Suspension Bridge, Art Deco Palace and Lukhdhirji Engineering College.Darbargadh, on the banks of the Machhu, is an original residence of Morbi rulers. It can be reached by crossing a gate arcaded facade.It is now a heritage hotel.
Mani Mandir is a temple in the courtyard of Wellingdon Secretariat. The images of Laxmi Narayan, Mahakali, Ramchandraji, Radha-Krishna and Shiva are worshiped in this temple. Mani Mandir is made out of Jaipur stone with carved elements: arches, brackets, jalis, chhatris and shikhara and is an example of the application of the principles of Rajput architecture by master craftsmen at the turn of the century.The Suspension Bridge was built at the turn of the century. It is 1.25 metres wide and spans 233 metres on the Machchhu River, connecting Darbargadh Palace and Lukhdhirji Engineering College. Recently this bridge has been renovated and opened to tourists.
is a town square approached by a series of three gates. European town planning principles inspired the creation of these gates as landmarks in the town. The Nehru Gate is made out of stone using elements of Rajput architecture with a central clock tower, while another one uses elements of western architecture and is capped by a three-storey cast iron frame structure with a dome.