Madan Kamdev is a archaeological site in Baihata Chariali, Kamrup. This place dates back to the 9th and 10th century AD. Excavation and ruins here shows the prosperity and might of Pala dynasty of Kamarupa. After crossing over a footpath, one can find the ruins of Madan Kamdev, scattered all over a secluded place. Madan Kamdev is spread over a stretch of 500 meters. Uma Maheshwar's embraced idols, carved on the stones of medieval temples can be seen here. The main statues among these are that of Sun's, Ganesha's and Vidhyadhar's.
Initially archeologists differed on the issue of when and who constructed these temples. But among them the opinion of Dr. Pradeep Sharma, assistant director of the Archeological Directorate, and Assam seems logical and evidential. He says that possibly when Captain Daltan has written. about 15 temple ruins found around the famous Silsako Bridge (a historical bridge that was destroyed in the 1897 earthquake) in his Asian Society of Bengal (1855) magazine, then it might necessarily be about Madan Kamdev. Again, after a long time span, in 1943 and 1949, the inspector of primary education, Tarnikant Sharma, gave same important information regarding the historical facts about the area, in the Assam research society (Kamarupa Anusandhan Samiti(1949)) magazine. But till 1976, no research work had been carried upon towards this direction.
In the meanwhile the religious people of the villages took the previous statues away or hunters carried them from one place to another. In 1977, the Archeological Directorate, of Assam took over the responsibility for this area. They started the excavations of the statues under the supervision of Dr. Pradeep Sharma, this exploration mission had unearthed several interesting and valuable facts. According to them, apart from the main temple, ruins of 12 temples have been excavated. By observing these temples and the idols engraved on the walls, one comes to the conclusion that these were constructed during the 10th and 12th centuries. According to Dr. Sharma, Kamarupa kings of Pala Dynasty namely Ratna Pala, Indra Pala and Go Pala involved in constructions of this place.
Bhairav with six heads, four headed Shiva, Kalpavriksha, Sun various Apsara, Vishnu with 6 heads, Saraswati and various other statues of animals have been found from here. In the year 1977, when the refurbishment process of this area started, the hill was surrounded by immense variety of forests, snakes- scorpions, and wild animals like tigers. Even still, deep forests hem the place, and one can come across savage tigers and deers on the adjacent hills. On the other hand, the melodic chirping of the birds make the environment so pleasant and the natural milieu, strewn all ovaries very alluring. Right below the Kamdev river madankuri flows in the east and towards the north, just beneath the hill is a vast stretch of swampy land which has the chain of hills of Gopeshwar from the north to west and Natuar nacha and Sangsari in the east. There are a few puranic beliefs prevalent regarding Madan Kamdev. According to one of those-God Shiva in a spurt of fury, had burnt god of love- Kam or Madan, to cinders. Madan was reborn at this place.
Other than Madan-Kamdev (the main temple), ruins of other huge and small temples are also scattered around it. After viewing the ruins it can be easily inferred that among all the temples of medieval period, existing in the Brahmaputra valley, Madan Kamdev had an incomparable structure and possessed unblemished beauty. According to the Architectural directorate, there still exist the possibility of excavation of the ruins of twelve more temples. Near To Madan Kamdev there is a old temple of lord shiva name as Gopeshwar Temple situated in village Deuduar. No one know how old this temple is. Near the temple there is a big cave known as Parvati Guha. Traveller use to visit Madan Kamdev along with this temple .