The Indian Institute of Technology Patna (abbreviated IIT Patna or IITP) is an autonomous institute of education and research in science, engineering and technology located in Patna, India. It is recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India. It is one of the eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011 which declares these eight IITs as well as the conversion of Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University to an IIT. The Act was passed in the Lok Sabha on 24 March 2011 and by the Rajya Sabha on 30 April 2012. IIT Patna is part of National Knowledge Network (NKN) which provides a high speed core networking for all the knowledge related institutions in India to integrate seamlessly all of the scientific community of India.
Campus And Location:
IIT Patna’s permanent campus will be located at Bihta, 35 km from Patna at a 500 acres (200 ha) site. The foundation stone of the IIT Patna, Bihta Campus was laid by Sri Kapil Sibal in 2011. It is currently under construction. At present, the institute is operating from a temporary 10 acres (4.0 ha) complex in Pataliputra colony, Patna, in buildings which have been renovated and were previously used by the Naveen Government Polytechnic.
- Academic Block: All classrooms of the this block are equipped with modern audio-visual electronic gadgets. The academic building has state-of-the-art laboratories in Computer Science, Physics and Chemistry. It also houses Computer Centre with total 18 GBPS internet connections and adequate server infrastructure. Laboratories in Basic Electronics, Analog Electronics, Digital Electronics, VSLI, Control, Instrumentation and Communication are also located in this building. The building also has a central library, the administrative office, a dispensary, a cafeteria and faculty chambers.
- Science Block: The science block has classrooms, faculty rooms and laboratories for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. These include the material science research and optics research facilities of the Physics Department, the chemistry instruments and chemistry research facilities of the Chemistry Department and the computational research facility of the Mathematics Department.
- Mechanical Engineering Block: The Mechanical Engineering Workshop building houses all the Mechanical Engineering Laboratories, viz. Basic and Conventional Manufacturing Lab, Advanced Manufacturing Lab, CAD/CAM Lab, Dynamics Lab, Fluid Mechanics Lab, Heat and Mass Transfer Lab, Instruments and Control Lab, IC Engines Lab, Material Testing Lab, Metrology and Metallographic Lab, Robotics Lab and Polymer Engineering Lab.
- Electrical Engineering Block: The Department of Electrical Engineering is evolving since the inception of IIT Patna in the year 2008. The major objective of the Department is to impart high quality education and research. The major research areas of the department include Communications, Signal Processing, VLSI, Electric Drives, Power Systems and Power Electronics. The Department has online access to IEL, Science Direct, Springer and other online journals. Software like MATLAB and GAMS are available with the Department in order to accelerate the research. Instructional laboratories for Basic Electronics, Analog Electronics Digital Electronics, Digital Signal Processing, Embedded Systems, VLSI, Electrical Machines, Power Electronics and Power Systems are fully operational.
The Software Technology Park of India building has a conference room, a placement cell and faculty chambers. It also has a computer hardware laboratory of the Computer Science Department and the Embedded Systems, DSP and Simulation Laboratories of the Electrical Engineering Department.
: IIT Patna undergraduate degrees award Bachelor of Technology in following disciples:
- Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering
: IIT Patna postgraduate programs include:
- Master of Technology
The M.tech program, started in 2012, awards degrees in three disciplines:
- Master of Technology in Mathematics and Computing
- Master of Technology in Nanotechnology
- Master of Technology in Mechatronics
The institute has set up many laboratories to conduct research in various disciplines of engineering, pure and applied sciences and humanities on the transit campus itself. Research is carried out by faculty members and research scholars under the guidance of faculty members. Research work is also done at the undergraduate level usually in the fourth year of engineering. The Sponsored Research and Industrial Relations Unit (SRIRU) was established in the year 2009 to promote interactive engagement between faculty and sponsoring agencies. The institute has received grants from various sponsoring agencies like Department of Information Technology - Govt. Of India, Department of Biotechnology - Govt. Of India, Defence Research and Development Organisation, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board, Department Of Science And Technology - Govt. Of India, CSIR, Department of Rural Development - Govt. Of India, UNICEF.
Collaboration With Foreign Universities:
To impart quality education and excel in the field of research IIT Patna has collaborated with many foreign universities like National university of Singapore
(NUS), University of Houston, Texas (USA),Louisiana State University (USA),University Of Hartford, Connecticut (USA), University Of Missouri, Columbia (USA), University of New South Wales
), University of North Texas-Denton (USA) and University of Saskatchewan (Canada
). The MoU is intended to give opportunities to B. Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D. students and faculty from IIT Patna to go to USA, Australia, Singapore and Canada and develop their research skills and interact with people working in different areas of science and technology.
Placements And Internships:
- Hostels, The students of IIT Patna are accommodated in five hostels: four hostels (Aryabhatta, Ashoka, Chanakya Halls and a New hostel) for male students which are located adjacent to the campus in a walled compound which includes Basketball, Volleyball and Badminton courts. A student gymkhana building is also located in the hostel compound. All the hostels are equipped with common rooms, facilities for indoor games like Table tennis, Carrom etc. Accommodation for female students is provided in rented flats that are within a kilometer distance from the campus from where conveyance is provided by the institute.
- Medical Services, The medical facilities are provided by the administration to the staff and students through the local Mahavir and Sahyog hospitals and insurance cover through National Insurance. A 24-hour ambulance service is available in the institute as well as hostels in case of emergencies.
- Library, The central library of IIT Patna is equipped with modern library automation systems like OPAC and RFID (self check-in & self check-out) technologies. The library currently houses more than 6000 books and 25 online e-resources (like Wiley and Springer e-Journals) to cater to the needs of faculty and students of IIT Patna. The resources encompass a wide range of topics from Engineering and Information Technology to Humanities and Social sciences.
Training and Placement Cell actively engages in developing relationship with various industrial organizations and employers. The cell organizes summer internships for per-final year students and placement activities for final years students.