Gurgaon is the second largest city in the Indian state of Haryana
. Gurgaon is the industrial and financial center of Haryana. It is located 30 km south of national capital New Delhi, about 10 kilometers from Dwarka Sub City and 268 km south of Chandigarh, the state capital. Gurgaon is one of Delhi's four major satellite cities and is part of the National Capital Region (India
). Gurgaon is within commuting distance of Delhi via an expressway and Delhi Metro.
Gurgaon has the 3rd highest per capita income in India after Chandigarh and Mumbai.Gurgaon is also the only Indian city to have successfully distributed electricity connections to all its households.However, because of its heavy vehicular traffic and inefficient public transportation apart from the Delhi Metro, Gurgaon ranks 11th amongst Indian cities on the "Life after Work" index of Business Today.Over the past 25 years the city has undergone rapid development and construction.Gurgaon stands at 87th place when it comes to cleanliness of a city in India; by comparison, Noida and Faridabad
in the National Capital Region stand at 17th and 237 respectively.The creation of associated physical infrastructure is higher in Noida and Greater Noida. Gurgaon and Faridabad are at the opposite spectrum.
Sports And Recreation:
Gurgaon has a large golfing population. Gurgaon has two 18-hole golf courses. Gurgaon is also home to two sports stadiums - Tau Devi Lal Stadium
has facilities for cricket, football, basketball and athletics as well as a sports hostel, while Nehru Stadium has facilities for football and athletics. Nehru Stadium has Hockey turf for matches. Football is a very popular sport with the youngsters of the city and every "colony" (district) has its own team. The Mir Iqbal Husain u-16 National Football Tournament was held at Tau Devi Lal stadium in 2009.
The Indian national football team uses this ground as a training venue. These days, Football has also got some children's attention.In December, 2010 it hosted the Indian Super Cup between Dempo SC and East Bengal FC.The Aravali Biodiversity Park
on Gurgaon-Delhi border, accessed from Mehrauli-Gurgaon Road was developed by the Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon and inaugurated on June 5, 2010, World
Environment Day In soon future there will be two sport academy plan, one is for football and other one is for hockey.
Lifestyle And Culture:
There are over 40 malls in Gurgaon city. Notable amongst them are the Ambience Mall
(near the Gurgaon-Delhi toll plaza), Sahara Mall
, Metropolitan Mall, City Centre Mall and Plaza Mall, (all on the MG Road, also known as the Mall Road), Wedding Mall (near Sohna
Road). Newly opened Star Mall (on NH-8, near 32nd milestone) and Omaxe Mall (Sohna Road) are also drawing attention.
In March 2008, the state administration mandated that all malls and shopping centers should be closed one day per week in order to conserve electricity and help traffic flow. Consequently, all malls and shopping centers are closed on Tuesday.Youngsters enjoy a wide range of fun activities like Go Karting at the only Go Karting track in NCR at 32nd Milestone, Gurgaon.There are also leisure parks, such as Leisure Valley Park
and Kingdom Of Dreams
situated in Sector-29.
- Road - An eight lane expressway runs between Delhi and Gurgaon and connects to NH8 (Delhi-Jaipur-Mumbai national highway). The expressway connects to Dhaula Kuan in Delhi over a distance of 28 kilometres (17 mi). Buses connect Gurgaon bus station to Delhi and to cities and towns in Haryana and neighbouring states.
- Delhi Metro - The Gurgaon-Qutub minar section of Delhi Metro opened to public on 21 June 2010. The line has been extended up to Central Secretariat on 3 September 2010 and is ultimately merged with the existing Yellow line between Jahangirpuri and Central Secretariat.The travel time for the 30 km between Qutub minar and HUDA city centre on the currently open section is around 14 minutes.The stations in Gurgaon are Guru Dronacharya, Sikanderpur, MG Road, IFFCO Chowk and Huda City Centre.
- Bus Terminal- Haryana Roadways is building a state-of-the-art bus terminal in sector 29 near HUDA City Centre Metro Station. The contract of building the bus stand has been given to a private company. Bus Terminal is equipped with facilities that are generally available at airports. The bus terminal covers an area of 3 acres (12,000 m sq) after completion will be unique and house around 500 buses.
- Train - The Gurgaon railway station located at western end of the original city and connects to Rewari towards the south and Delhi Cantt.
- Indira Gandhi International Airport - Airport is just 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) from the city centre which is only 15 minutes car drive and the city is well connected to the airport by the Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway also known as NH 8.
- 32nd Milestone (offers leisure activities like Go Karting, Bowling, Net Cricket etc along with various casual and fine dining options)
- Ambience Mall(Largest mall of India)
- Shani Dev Temple
- Damdama Lake
- Kingdom Of Dreams
- Leisure Valley Park
- Museum Of Folk And Tribal Art
- Pataudi Palace
- Sai Dham
- Sheetla Mata Temple
- Sohna hot water spring
- Wet N Wild
- Air Force station