Yeri Katha Raamar Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Rama located in the town of Maduranthakam, Tamil Nadu, India. This is the stalam where Udayavar was named Ramanuja. Ramanujar was instructed the Pancha Samskara Mantram. Mathuranthaka Chaturvedi Mangalam, Vaikunda Varthanam, Thirumathurai, Thirumanthira Tirupathi, Karunagara Vilagam are the other names of the temple. Thirumalisai Alvar attained siddhi in this sthalam (place).
The temple was built during the Pallava era, and is estimated to be 1600 years old. The Moolavar (presiding deity) of the temple is Lord Rama. The Moolavar is at a standing position facing east. The height of the Moolavar is around 8 feet (2 m). Here Lord Rama with his wife Sita and with his brother Lakshmana. This temple is situated near the Madhuranthakam lake shore. During the period 1795 to 1799 the Collector of Chengalpattu District was a British officer called Colonel Lionel Blaze. During his collectorship, Blaze had witnessed two breaches to the huge tank in Madurantakam taluk. The enormity of the problem can be appreciated only when we know of the massive size of the tank.
Having an area of 13 square miles (34 sq km) and a depth of 21 feet (6 m), the breaching of the tank following torrential downpour was any official's nightmare. Wanting to take preemptive action in the year 1798 the Collector camped in Madurantakam. During his sojourn the Collector was exploring ways and means to undertake urgent repairs of the breaches if and when they happened. During the course of his inspections, he happened to see a large collection of granite and other stones in the precincts of the Rama temple. The Collector mentioned to his subordinates that these could be put to use in restoration of the bunds. Hearing this the temple priests submitted that the stones were meant for constructing a separate shrine for Janakavalli Thayar and since there was paucity of funds the construction could not commence.
Hearing this the Collector is said to have remarked that where was the need for a separate shrine when more urgent work like repairing the bunds were crying for resources and asked the priests jestingly as to why the Lord was not able to save the tank each year? The priests replied saying that the Lord was always known to answer a sincere prayer from the heart. The rains came and it poured. Within a few days the tank was full to the brim and a breach seemed imminent. That night a worried Collector camped near the tank hoping against hope that the bunds would hold. As he was inspecting, Colonel Blaze saw a miraculous sight. He saw two warriors bearing bow and quiver guarding the bunds. The grateful Collector undertook the building of the shrine for Janakavalli thayar and the Rama in the temple came to be known as the erikatha Ramar. The edict with the Collector's name citing him as a benefactor can be seen even today in the Madurantakam temple.
This is the place under the Magizha tree, where Sri Ramanujar was given "Pancha Samskaram" (initiation) by his teacher Peria Nambigal. That is when Maduranthakam was given the name "Dvayam Vilindha Tirupathi". Upon receiving Kanchi Varadarajar's divine order through Tirukachi Nambi, Ramanuja set to Srirangam to become the disciple of Peria Nambigal. He met him in Maduranthakam itself, in the lake precincts. Peria Nambigal was on his way to Kanchipuram to install Ramanuja as the successor of Sri Aalanvandar. In the month of Avani, on the Sukla Panchami, Peria Nambigal gave the Samasrayanam or Pancha Samskaram called Dvaya Mantropadesam (divine syllable). The festival is celebrated every year. This is the only place where Ramanujar can be seen as a Grihastha (family man).
Maduranthakam is on the Trichy-Chennai highway (NH45) at a distance of 89 km from Chennai and 25 km from Chengalpattu. There are several buses travelling to Maduranthakam from Chennai. Maduranthakam also has its own railway station, with suburban trains going towards Melmaruvathur stopping here.