Cossipore is a neighbourhood in north Kolkata, earlier known as Calcutta, in the Indian state of West Bengal. One of the old neighbourhoods of the metropolis, it has a police station and is an assembly constituency. The British East India Company purchased thirty-eight villages in 1717 and added them to their property at Calcutta. They later reconstituted them as fifty-five villages or mouzas (panchannogram).
Cossipore was one of those villages. H. E. A. Cotton writes, “The Cossipore Reach was one of the finest on the river, and is lined by a number of villa residences.” From those days Cossipore had a number of industrial units. – the Government Gun Foundry, the Snider and Rifle Shell factories (originally constructed by Colonel Hutchinson), sugar mills and jute screw houses. Entally, Manicktala, Beliaghata, Ultadanga, Chitpur, Cossipore, parts of Beniapukur, Ballygunge, Watganj and Ekbalpur, and parts of Garden Reach and Tollygunj were added to Kolkata Municipal Corporation in 1888.
Ward No. 1 of Kolkata Municipal Corporation covering Cossipore has Baranagore on the north, Sinthee on the east, Paikpara on the south-east, Chitpur on the south and the Hooghly River on the west. Cossipore has six prominent ghats on the Hooghly – from south - Cossipore Ghat, Sadhur Ghat, Ranir Ghat, Pramanick Ghat, Ramakrishna Mahasashan and Ratan Babu Ghat.