Balatonfüred is a little town on the northern shore of Lake Balaton surrounded by the southern slopes of Tamás Hill and the Tihany peninsula. The number of its population is 13.500. Balatonfüred has been the first spa of Hungary since 1971. It has also gained the title of ”International Town of Grapes and Wine”. The town became famous mostly because of its curative springs and mediterranean-like climate. Balatonfüred was already inhabited in the Roman times. Its name was first mentioned in the estate registration of the Tihany Abbey in 1211. The mineral springs near Lake Balaton were already known in the 17th century. They came into the limelight when the boiled spring water was used for bathing and the settlement was officially declared a spa in the 1700s.
Significant sights: National Hospital for Heart Diseases, Kossuth Lajos pump house (that is where the mineral water can be tasted), Anna Grand Hotel (that is where the Füred Pantheon can be found), Horváth House, Hotel Blaha (it used to be the summer home of Lujza Blaha who was a significant Hungarian actress of the 19th century), Jókai Villa (the summer home of Mór Jókai who was a great Hungarian novelist of the 19th century), the Protestant Church, the Gombás Mansion, the ruins of St. Michael Church and the six columns which remained from the first Hungarian speaking stone theatre of Transdanubia, Lóczy Cave.