The upper and byewash reservoirs are joinly known as Tai Tam Reservoir.
The planning of the reservoirs is known as Tai Tam Scheme which was started early in 1872 and was shelved 1874 because of economic depression.The scheme was continued later in 1882 and virtually completed in 1888. Yet again, the supply was proved insufficient and the building of the Tai Tam Tuk dam began in 1912. The four reservoirs have a total storage capacity of 6.2 million cubic metres.
The reservoirs are surrounded by Mount Butler, Jardines Lookout, Violet Hill
and Mount Parker
, with an extraordinary environment of peace and quiet.In September 2009, the Tai Tam Waterworks Heritage Trail
was opened, touring the architectural landmarks of the reservoir system.