Shing Mun Reservoir (Chengmen Shuitang) is a reservoir in Hong Kong. It is located in Shing Mun, the area between Tsuen Wan and Sha Tin, in the New Territories.
Several hundreds years ago, the area around the reservoir was a dense forest with very few inhabitants. In the early days of the Qing Dynasty (17th century), a former general of the Ming Dynasty became a pirate and built his fortress in the lower part of the river valley. Hence the area is now called Shung Mun or "fortified gate".After 1669, when the Great Clearance imposed by the Manchu Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty was rescinded, many Hakkas settled in this area, growing rice, tea and pineapples. In the early 20th century, there were seven villages in the area.
In 1933 the Shing Mun Reservoir was built to meet the increasing demand for fresh water due to the urbanisation of Kowloon. The reservoir was completed in 1936. It was once named Jubilee Reservoir to celebrate Silver Jubilee (1935) of King George V of the United Kingdom.
The local inhabitants were resettled in other parts of the New Territories, and now some of the old villages are submerged. The remains of other villages and houses can be seen in the woods on the side of the reservoir. The remains of Gin Drinkers Line on the nearby hills show the defences of British force against Japanese invasion during World War II.
It is possible to see many troops of macaque monkeys around the picnic sites and in the woodland areas. To preserve the natural environment of the reservoir, its surrounding area is managed under Shing Mun Country Park. Two walking trails, Wilson Trail and MacLehose Trail, cross at the side of the reservoir.
A total of 41 pre-World War II waterworks structures located in six reservoir areas, namely Pok Fu Lam Reservoir, Tai Tam Group of Reservoirs, Wong Nai Chung Reservoir, Kowloon Reservoir, Shing Mun (Jubilee) Reservoir and Aberdeen Reservoir, were declared as monuments in September 2009. The Memorial Stone of Shing Mun Reservoir was declared as one of the monuments.