Mount Parish is a hill in Wan Chai, Hong Kong, to the south of Queen's Road East, between Kennedy Road and Stubbs Road.
In 1873 the Royal Navy bought the Seaman's Hospital in Wan Chai, which was running at a loss, using the money obtained by selling the hospital ship, HMS Melville. The Seaman's Hospital was renamed the Royal Naval Hospital, and the hill where the hospital stood was named Mount Shadwell, after Vice-Admiral Charles Shadwell, the Commander-in-Chief on the China Station. By 1931 the Infectious Diseases Hospital has been built on the neighbouring hill, which was renamed Mount Parish, after Commodore John E. Parish, the Naval Officer commanding in Hong Kong between 1873 and 1876. A granite pillar at the foot of the hill, beside Queen's Road East, acted as a boundary stone of Royal Navy lands. The pillar is inscribed with a '7', an anchor, and the year '1905'.
With the start of the Second World War, the Government of Hong Kong built a network of air raid protection tunnels in order to prepare for a possible war with the Japanese Army. During the Battle of Hong Kong, the defenders of Hong Kong fought the Japanese in order to prevent the latter from advancing into Central. The buildings were damaged during the war.
The campus of Wah Yan College, Hong Kong still stands at the top of the mount and covers an area of 20,000 square metres (220,000 sq ft). It was completed and officially opened on 27 September 1955 by the then Governor Sir Alexander Grantham, replacing the old campus at Robinson Road. It was designed by Professor Gordon Brown of the University of Hong Kong, containing classrooms, laboratories, a hall and a chapel.
Air raid precaution tunnels
There is a network of air raid precaution (ARP) tunnels under Mount Parish, which was built by the Government some time before the Battle of Hong Kong in 1941. Like the other 28 ARP tunnels in Hong Kong, the purpose was to provide protection for citizens from air raids by the Japanese Air Force. The total length of the tunnels is 1.8 km, with two ventilation shafts and 13 portals numbered from 71 to 83, along the slope beside Stubbs Road, Queen's Road East and Kennedy Road.
Most of the portals were filled in after the war, leaving only three portals which are currently accessible by related government staff, those with numbers 72, 80 and 81. Surveys made in the late 1970s and early 1980s revealed that the tunnels are divided into three levels, with connecting slopes between them.