MacPherson Stadium was a major stadium in Hong Kong
. Located at Yim Po Fong Street on the edge of high population density area Mong Kok
. The stadium played an important role to development of youth recreation in Hong Kong. The stadium was within Queen Elizabeth II Youth Centre (伊利沙伯青年館) and thus it was also referred as Yi Kun (伊館) in Hong Kong. It was adjacent to the Macpherson Playground which had a football pitch and acted as a gathering place for youth. The stadium was managed by the Hong Kong Playground Association.
The stadium held its last basketball tournament in October and was demolished for a residential complex with its own sports stadium. In the future, the stadium will be redeveloped and be expanded into 2,500 seats.
On 4 May 1929, the Hong Kong Government had founded the Playing Fields Committee, to provide social welfare services to local children, J. L. McPherson being among the founding members. On 4 May, 1933, when the Children’s Playgrounds Association became a reality, McPherson was named Honorary Secretary (Kwok, 2003).
John McPherson had been a missionary assigned to Hong Kong from Canada
, working for the YMCA from 1905 to 1935 (see McPherson, 2006. At his retirement, appreciation was shown for the work he had done in Hong Kong, among which was the founding of the Children's Playground (South China
Morning Post, Mar 12, 1935). The reason the spelling of the playground is Mac rather than Mc--Pherson is most likely due to his nickname being Mac, and this came to be what was remembered when the playground was named.