Kennedy Town (Chinese: 堅尼地城; pinyin: jiānnídì chéng; jyutping: gin1 nei4 dei6 seng4) is at the western end of Sai Wan on Hong Kong Island in Hong Kong. It was named after Arthur Edward Kennedy, the 7th Governor of Hong Kong from 1872 to 1877. Administratively, it is part of Central and Western District.
Due to its distance to major commercial cores and lack of MTR access, town development is not as vigorous as other parts of urban Hong Kong; this is expected to change when the MTR extends to the area.
Kennedy Town occupies the northwestern part of Hong Kong Island. It is bordered by the Belcher Bay of Victoria Harbour to the north, by the Sulphur Channel to the west, Shek Tong Tsui to the east and Mount Davis and Lung Fu Shan to the south.
In 1886, when Arthur Edward Kennedy was governor, land was reclaimed along the coast of Kennedy Town. It formed a narrow coastal strip of land that included the Kennedy Praya and the coastal area from Beach Street via Collinson Street to Shek Tong Tsui. Additional land was reclaimed along the coast of Kennedy Town between 1933–1939, but works were suspended before the Battle of Hong Kong in 1941. Further reclamation was conducted at the end of the 20th century.
Kennedy Town is the western section of the historical Victoria City. In 1903, the Hong Kong Government erected seven boundary stones for the city, inscribed "City Boundary 1903". One of them is located next to the Kennedy Town Temporary Recreation Ground at Sai Ning Street (西寧街).
Streets in Kennedy Town include:
- New Praya, Kennedy Town
- Kennedy Town Praya
- Catchick Street
- Belcher's Street
- Davis Street
- Pokfield Road
- Victoria Road.
Two of the earliest public housing estates of Hong Kong are located in Kennedy Town: Sai Wan Estate, completed in 1958, and Kwun Lung Lau, built in 1967. The Merton, completed in 2005, is a high-rise private housing development in the area.
Historical buildings and places in Kennedy Town include:
- Lo Pan Temple, a Grade I historic building
- Elliot Pumping Station & Filters Senior Staff Quarters, No. 77 Pok Fu Lam Road, a Grade II historic building
- Elliot Pumping Station & Filters Workmen's Quarters, a Grade III historic building
- Elliot Pumping Station & Filters, Treatment Works Building, a Grade III historic building
- Ex-Western Fire Station, No. 12 Belcher's Street, a Grade III historic building. Converted into the Po Leung Kuk Chan Au Big Yan Home for the Elderly.
Smithfield Municipal Services Building (士美菲路市政大廈), located at 12K Smithfield, at the corner with Rock Hill Street
Kennedy Town Community Complex, located at 12 Rock Hill Street, adjacent to Smithfield Municipal Services Building. The 16-storey building was completed in May 2006 and won a Certificate of Merit in the 2006 Design Award Scheme
Kennedy Town Swimming Pool, located at 2 Sai Cheung Street North, next to Belcher Bay Park. It opened on May 11, 2011, replacing the swimming pool at Smithfield, demolished to facilitate the construction of Kennedy Town Station
Kennedy Town Fire Station, located at the northern end of Smithfield, at the corner with New Praya
- Belcher Bay Park
- Cadogan Street Temporary Park
- Forbes Street Temporary Playground
- Kennedy Town Temporary Recreation Ground at Sain Ning Street