Edinburgh Place is a public square in Central, Hong Kong
, adjacent to the Victoria Harbour
. The Hong Kong City Hall
is located in the square. In addition, the Edinburgh Place Ferry Pier
and Queen's Pier were also located in the square before they were demolished in early 2007.
The Edinburgh Place complex, which included the City Hall and the Memorial gardens were designed by British architects Ron Phillips and Alan Fitch in 1956 for the most important civic functions of the city. The Star Ferry
Pier was designed by a local Chinese architect, Hung Yip Chan . He worked in the Architectural Office of the Hong Kong Government from 1952-1957 as an assistant architect.
He designed the elegant facade of the pier, and the Chief Architect, Michael Wright, added the Clock Tower
to make the pier more balanced and practical. Queen's Pier, completed in 1954, was "an integral part" of the cluster: the entrance to the City Hall formed an axis with the Pier to lend a sense of occasion to visiting dignatories. From the completion of City Hall in 1962, each arriving new Governor would land at Queen's Pier, and they would hold an inspection of the Guard of honour in Edinburgh Place before being sworn in nearby in the City Hall.