Fort-Liberté (Kreyòl: Fòlibète) is the administrative capital of the Nord-Est Department, Haiti. It is close to the border of the Dominican Republic and is one of the oldest cities in the country. Haiti's independence was proclaimed here on November 29, 1803. The area around Fort-Liberté was originally inhabited by Indians, and later by colonists, starting with the Spanish.
It was founded as a city in 1578 by the French, was occupied by the British in 1790, captured by the Spanish forces in 1794 and restored to the French in 1801 until independence in 1803. The city has undergone a succession of name changes, in the order of Bayaha (1578), Fort-Dauphin (1732), Fort St. Joseph (1804), Fort-Royal (1811) and finally as Fort-Liberté since 1820. The town is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort-Liberté.