New Amsterdam located in the East Berbice-Corentyne Region, 62 miles from the capital, Georgetown, is one of the largest towns in Guyana. It is located four miles upriver from the Atlantic Ocean mouth of the Berbice River, on its eastern bank, immediately south of the Canje River.
New Amsterdam has its origins in a village which grew up alongside Fort Nassau in the 1730s and 1740s. Built in 1740 by the Dutch New Amsterdam was first named Fort Sint Andries.New Amsterdam serves as a port and has a government-run hospital. The town has many old colonial buildings, some dating back to the time of Dutch colonisation. Mission Chapel has been designated a National Heritage Site.