The University of Würzburg is a university in Würzburg, Germany, founded in 1402. The university is a member of the distinguished Coimbra Group. The University’s official name is Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg which translates to Julius-Maximilian's University of Würzburg but it is commonly referred to as the University of Würzburg.
This name is taken from Julius Echter von Mespelbrunn, Prince-Bishop of Würzburg, who reestablished the University 426 years ago, and Prince Elector Maximilian Joseph, the prince under whom secularization occurred at the start of the 19th century. The University’s central administration, foreign student office, and several research institutes are located within the allied area of the old town, while the new liberal arts campus, with its modern library, overlooks the city from the east. The University today enrolls approximately 22,000 students, out of which more than 1,000 come from other countries.