The Berlin City Palace (German: Berliner Stadtschloss, Berliner Schloss or simply Stadtschloss) was a royal and imperial palace in the centre of Berlin, the historical capital of Prussia, and subsequently Germany. It was located on the Museum Island at Schlossplatz, opposite the Lustgarten park. It was the winter residence of the Kings of Prussia and the German Emperors. In 2013 work started on reconstruction and a part of the exterior of the palace has been rebuilt. Completion is expected in 2018-19.
The palace was originally built in the 15th century and changed throughout the next few centuries. It bore features of the Baroque style, and its shape, finalised by the middle 18th century, is attributed to famous German architect Andreas Schlüter, whose first design is likely to date from 1702, though the palace incorporated earlier parts seen in 1688 by Nicodemus Tessin. It served as a residence to various Electors of Brandenburg.
It was the principal residence and winter residence of the Hohenzollern Kings of Prussia from 1701 to 1918. After the unification of Germany in 1871, it was also the central residence for the German Emperors. It became a museum following the fall of the German Empire in 1918. Heavily damaged by Allied bombing in World War II, although possible to repair at great expense, the palace was demolished in 1950 by the German Democratic Republic authorities, despite West German protests.
Following the reunification of Germany, it was decided to rebuild a part of the exterior of the palace. The new building will have the cubature of the former palace and include authentically reconstructed facades on three of the four sides of the building, whereas the interior will be modern. The building, under the name of Humboldtforum, is going to be finished sometime in the late 2010s, with the earliest approximate year 2019.