St. James' Church is one of the five principal Lutheran churches of Hamburg, Germany
. The church is located directly in the city center, has a 125 m tall tower and features a famous organ by Arp Schnitger from 1693. It is dedicated to St James the Greater and often incorrectly known in English as St Jacob's.
The building sits a few metres east of the 10th meridian east longitude, which runs through the city centre.
The famous Arp Schnitger organ of 1693 in the west gallery is, with its 60 registers and around 4,000 pipes, is the largest baroque organ in Northern Europe
. From 1989 to 1993, the organ was completely restored, and since its rededication at Easter 1993 it can be heard every Sunday during services.
St. James' has three medieval altars: the Holy Trinity Altar in the Main Choir (c. 1518, the St. Peter Altar in the first south nave (1508), and the St. Luke Altar in the second south nave (1500) that originally comes from the Hamburg Cathedral.
Also deserving of notice is the Ministers' Room, which originally served as a library. Since 1543, it has been the collection room of the church ministers, and was remodeled in 1710. The ceiling murals, with their civic virtues, show the importance of maintaining parish to the city regiment. They were painted, like the landscape paintings on the wall, by Johann Moritz Riesenberger.Coats of arms on the walls name the pastors and jurors who have served the parish since the sixteenth century.
The stained-glass windows were created by Charles Crodel, who also made the windows at St. Matthew's Church in Winterhude and at St. Mary's Church in Fuhlsbüttel.