Neukölln is the eighth borough of Berlin, located in the southeastern part of the city and was part of the former American sector under the Four-Power occupation of the city. It features many Gründerzeit buildings and is characterized by having one of the highest percentage of immigrants in Berlin.
Neukölln's independence ended in 1920 when it was incorporated into Berlin. See History of Neukölln (locality/Stadtteil Berlins) From 1966 to 1975 the Gropiusstadt was built, a "Trabantenstadt" or city-within-a-city housing estate, designed by architect Walter Gropius. Neukölln is selected as pilot city of the Council of Europe and the European Commission Intercultural cities programme.