The Brandhorst Museum was opened in Munich
on May 21, 2009. It displays about 200 exhibits from collection of modern art of the heirs of the Henkel trust Udo Fritz-Hermann and Anette Brandhorst. In 2009 the Brandhorst Collection comprises more than 700 works.
Anette Brandhorst, the great-granddaughter of Henkel’s founder, and her husband Udo Fritz-Hermann began collecting art in 1971.
The building with its long, two-storey, rectangular structure and multi-coloured facade composed of 36,000 vertical ceramic louvres in 23 different coloured glazes, was created by Sauerbruch Hutton architects, located next to the Pinakothek der Moderne in the Kunstareal
. The building has three exhibition areas which are connected by stairs. All galleries (with the exception of the Media Suite) have white walls and wooden floorboards of Danish oak.
The museum displays a comprehensive selection of about 100 works of Andy Warhol (Hammer and sickle, 1976, The Last Supper, 1986) and more than 60 works of Cy Twombly, making it the largest Twombly collection outside the US. The monumental series by Twombly, titled Lepanto, refers to a naval battle in 1571 between the Ottoman and Holy League forces. On of the museum's rooms, an irregular octagon, was created specifically to house the Lepanto cycle, a painting in 12 parts.
Works on paper by Kasimir Malevich, Kurt Schwitters and Joan Miró and others also belong to the Brandhorst collection.The museum also houses a collection of 112 illustrated books of Pablo Picasso since Udo and Anette Brandhorst were not only interested in the fine arts, but also in literature.