The Lenbachhaus in Munich
contains an art museum and is part of Munich's "Kunstareal
" (the "art area").
The Lenbachhaus was built as a Florentine-style villa for the painter Franz von Lenbach between 1887 and 1891 by Gabriel von Seidl. Some of the rooms of the villa still have kept their original design.The city of Munich acquired the building in 1924, and today, the Lenbach Haus houses the city's gallery.
The gallery contains a variety of works by Munich painters and contemporary artists, in styles such as The Blue Rider and New Objectivity.
- The gallery displays masterpieces by Munich artists such as Jan Polack, Christoph Schwarz, Georges Desmarees ("Countess Holstein" 1754).
Works by members of the Munich Secession are also on display. The group was founded in 1892, and includes artists such as the impressionist painters Lovis Corinth, Max Slevogt and Fritz von Uhde.
The Blue Rider
- The Lenbachhaus is most famous for the large collection of paintings by Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider), a group of expressionist artists established in Munich in 1911.
- Artists of the New Objectivity like Christian Schad and Rudolf Schlichter are exhibited in several rooms.
- The museum gives a very profound view of international contemporary art with works by Franz Ackermann, Dennis Adams, Christian Boltanski.