Botanical Garden in Berlin is considered[by whom] one of the most important gardens in the World, with area of 43 hectares and around 22,000 different plant species. The garden is located in the Dahlem neighborhood of the borough of Steglitz-Zehlendorf. It was constructed between 1897 and 1910, under the guidance of architect Adolf Engler, in order to present exotic plants returned from German colonies.
Today, the garden is part of the Free University of Berlin. The Botanical Museum (Botanisches Museum), with a large herbarium (Herbarium Berolinense) and a large scientific library, is attached to the garden.