The second largest city of Gabon, Port Gentil is in fact an island, with no bridges connecting it to the mainland. Also known as Mandji Island, Port Gentil is an important center of Gabonese petroleum and timber industries. Extremely close to Cape Lopez which is the westernmost point of Gabon, Port Gentil is a leading sea-port in the region which is also served by an international airport with regular flights effectively connecting with Libreville and the rest of Gabon. Well known for its hotels and an interesting nighlife, Port Gentil is a popular tourist attraction in Gabon, invariably frequented by visitors.
Some of the prime Port Gentil tourist attractions include the St Louis Church which was built in 1927, a zoo, a casino, a golf course, few beaches and plenty of wildlife associated within local swamps. Situated in the delta region of the Ogowe River, Port Gentil started as a custom post set up by the French way back in 1894.