Parc Montsouris is a public park in the 14th arrondissement of Paris, at the southern edge of Paris directly south of the center. Opened in 1869, Parc Montsouris is one of the four large urban public parks, along with the Bois de Boulogne, the Bois de Vincennes and the Parc des Buttes Chaumont, created by Emperor Napoleon III and his Prefect of the Seine, Baron Haussmann, at each of the cardinal points of the compass around the city, in order to provide green space and recreation for the rapidly growing population of Paris. The park is 15.5 hectares in area, and is designed as an English landscape garden.
The Park contains a lake, a cascade, wide sloping lawns, and many notable varieties of trees, shrubs and flowers. It is also home to a meteorology station, a cafe and a guignol theater. The roads of the park are extremely popular with joggers on weekends.
The park is bounded to the south by Boulevard Jourdan and the Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (CIUP); to the north by Avenue Reille; to the east by Rue Gazan and Rue de la Cité Universitaire; and to the west by Rue Nansouty and Rue Émile Deutsch-de-la-Meurthe. The "Cité Universitaire" stop on the line on the RER B is located in the center of Parc Montsouris.