Neuf-Brisach (German: Neubreisach) is a commune in the Haut-Rhin department in Alsace in north-eastern France. The town's name means New Breisach, referring to the German town Breisach, located on the other side of the Rhine. The aerial photography shows the layout of the town built as fortification. After the peace of Ryswick 1697 and the loss of Breisach to Habsburg, France built this fortified town to guard the border.
The fortifications are Vauban's final work and the culmination of his 'Third System'. There are two lines of defence, an inner enceinte de sûreté, the bastion wall around the city, and an outer enceinte de combat, a system of concentric star-shaped earthworks. The curtain wall was largely octagonal, with each flank separated roughly into three and the outer bastion projecting slightly, so as to flank the centre of the walls. Each corner had a raised outwardly-projecting pentagonal bastion tower, the highest points of the system.
The outer earthworks were deep and occupied a greater area than the city itself. The inner walls were surrounded by tenailles before the centres of the curtain walls and counterguards before the bastions. In front of the centre of each curtain face was a large tetrahedral ravelin, those in front of the gateways also being topped by a reduit to the rear. Outside all of these earthworks was a covered way. The city suffered damage in World War II, but still represents a very clear example of the latest in fortification work at the beginning of the eighteenth century. In 2008, the new town of Neuf-Brisach was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as part of the "Fortifications of Vauban" group.