The Musée de Montmartre is located in Montmartre, at 8-14 rue Cortot in the XVIII arrondissement of Paris, France. It was founded in 1960 and was classified as a Musée de France in 2003.
The museum is housed in buildings, which are three centuries old, the Hotel Demarne and the Maison du Bel Air. It was home to many famous artists and writers such as Renoir who painted his celebrated « La Balançoire » and « Le Bal du Moulin de la Galette » here in 1876. The museum also welcomed Suzanne Valadon and her son Maurice Utrillo as well as Raoul Dufy, Démétrios Galanis, Léon Bloy and Pierre Reverdy.
The collections of the museum belong to the association Le Vieux Montmartre, created in 1886, and contains paintings, photographs, posters and manuscripts that depict the history of the neighbourhood, its effervescence, the « bohème » and cabarets from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Among them are « Le Cabaret du Chat Noir » by Steinlen, « Bruant au Mirliton », « Le Divan Japonais » or « Le Moulin Rouge » by Toulouse-Lautrec, « La Place Pigalle » by Maurice Utrillo, « L’Autoportrait » by Suzanne Valadon, « Parce Domine » by Willette, « L’enseigne du Lapin Agile » as well as the magnificent « Théâtre d’ombres » by Henri Rivière.
Renoir’s Gardens and the Vineyard:
The gardens have been renovated according to Renoir’s paintings. They provide a good view of the vineyard, which has existed since the Middle Ages and was replanted in 1933. According to the New York Times, its working vineyard is said to make the most expensive bad wine in the city.
The site belongs to the city of Paris. In 2011 its management was entrusted to the Kléber Rossillon firm, which has plans to double the exhibition space. As such, the gardens have been renovated according to Renoir’s paintings. Furthermore, Suzanne Valadon’s studio and the Hotel Demarne will also be renovated in 2014.
The museum is open all year every day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. An admission fee is charged.