The Lot, originally the Olt, is a river in France, right tributary of the Garonne. It rises in the Cévennes, flowing west through Quercy, where it flows into the Garonne near Aiguillon, a total distance of 481 kilometres (299 mi). It gives its name to the Lot département. The Lot is prone to flooding in the winter and spring.
The river was used for transport as early as the 12th century when 11 flash locks were installed between Penne-d'Agenais and Fumel. A reliable route was not provided until the 17 century when Colbert ordered new works. By 1776, the river had 12 locks. New construction was begun in 1835 for some 297 km and 76 locks, connecting Le Moulin d'Olt at Entraygues to the Garonne at Nicole. Four tunnels were included at this time with lengths from 139m to 364m. Railway competition caused the abandonment of Lot navigation in 1926. Over the next 60 years, there were no repairs or maintenance of the canal. Repairs in the Lower Lot began in the end of the 1990s.
River Lot (Aval)
This portion of the Lot, aka Lower River Lot, is a 71.5 km route, with 7 locks, from Nicole to Lustrac (commune of Trentels). The Lower Lot is open to traffic and is being extended upstream with the objective of some day being connected to the Upper Lot.