Faidherbe - Chaligny is a station of the Paris Métro, named after the streets of Rue Faidherbe and Rue Chaligny. The station opened on 5 May 1931 with the extension of the line from Richelieu - Drouot to Porte de Charenton. Rue Faidherbe is named after General Louis Faidherbe (1818-1889), who was Governor of Senegal between 1854 and 1861 and between 1863 and 1865. Rue Chaligny is named after the Chalignys who were a famous family of metal-founders from Lorraine.
Places of Interest:
- Nearby is the Fountain of Montreuil, created in 1719, which was used at that time to supply water to the butcheries in neighbouring Faubourg Saint-Antoine.
- The district preserved artisanal trades, particularly ironwork and cabinet-making.
- The principal entry to the Saint-Antoine Hospital is between the two metro entrances.
- Many small restaurants surround the station.
- The Palace of Woman, a reception Centre for single women, is at the end of the Rue de Faidherbe.