The Natural History Museum of Helsinki is an exhibition of the Finnish Museum of Natural History of the University Of Helsinki. The museum is located in Etu-Töölö in central Helsinki. The museum building was originally established as a gymnasium for Russian students in 1913, and adopted by the University in 1923. The museum displays taxidermed animals, skeletons, remains of prehistoric animals, and minerals. The first floor houses a bone exhibition; in the upper floors there are exhibitions of the Finnish nature, the nature of the World, and the history of life.
The moose statue in front of the museum is its best known symbol. The lobby hall is dominated by a taxidermed African elephant. The museum also has a cafe and a souvenir shop. The total floor area of the museum is around 8,000 square metres (86,000 sq ft).