Jokela is one of the three administrative centers in the Finnish municipality Tuusula. It has a population of around 6,000 residents. The Jokela School Centre and the Jokela railway station serve the community. Many residents commute to the capital of Finland, Helsinki, which is about 30 miles or 30 minutes away.
Until the mid-19th century the area around Jokela was scarcely populated. The development of Jokela began with the opening of a railway line in 1862. In 1874 the railway station was built and the first brick factory was founded. Several other brick factories would later follow to meet the needs of the rapidly growing capital as well as a match factory next to Jokela manor. The industrial development increased population: in 1920 there were 570 inhabitants and by 1950 1,617.