Founded by the British in 1827, this capital and the largest city of Equatorial Guinea was originally named as Port Clarence. Located on the Bioko Island, Malabo features several remarkable buildings like the Malabo Cathedral, Malabo Court Building, the Malabo Government Building and the Malabo Presidential Palace. Although well served by the Malabo International Airport, Malabo still does not have a properly developed network of streets and roads which would make local travel convenient.
The national coastal regions of Malabo are extensively pierced by several headlands and bays, some of which are picturesquely crescent-shaped. Entire eastern regions of Malabo comprise of the Malabo Bay which is also a part of a wider bay stretching across the northern coast of Bioko, and from the west Europe Point to the barren lands located on the eastern side. Significantly benefitted by the growing oil industry, Malabo has unfortunately little utilized this wealth towards development.