The Woolwich foot tunnel crosses under The River Thames in East London from Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich to North Woolwich in the London Borough of Newham. The tunnel offers pedestrians an alternative way to cross the river when the Woolwich Free Ferry service is not operating. Both entrances to the tunnel are Grade II listed buildings. The south entrance is now somewhat hidden behind the Waterfront leisure centre.
The tunnel was designed by Sir Maurice Fitzmaurice and built by Walter Scott & Middleton for London County Council and opened by Lord Cheylesmore, Chairman of the LCC, on Saturday, 26 October 1912. In many respects it is very similar to the nearby Greenwich Foot Tunnel, being accessed by lifts and stairs from buildings featuring glass domes. This tunnel too is glazed with white tiles (although many have been defaced).