St John's Notting Hill is a Victorian Anglican church built in 1845 in Lansdowne Crescent, Notting Hill, London, designed by the architects John Hargrave Stevens (1805/6-1857) and George Alexander (1810-1885), and built in the Victorian Gothic style. Dedicated to St John the Evangelist, the church was originally built as the centrepiece of the Ladbroke Estate, a mid nineteenth century housing development designed to attract upper and upper middle class residents to what was then a largely rural neighbourhood in the western suburbs of London.
St John's Today:
The present vicar is The Reverend William Taylor. St John's plays an active role in the life of the local community. Among the many community events organised around the church is the annual May Fair. This is a popular family event, held on the second or third Saturday of the month, with stalls selling bric-a-brac, vintage jewellery, home-made cakes and jams, books, toys and plants. There is also a raffle and tombola. Children's activities include a bouncy castle, face painting, a coconut shy, candy floss, a cake decorating stall, Beat-the-Goalie and a Fancy Dress Competition, with judging at 3.30pm.
Food and drink are also on Sale with a barbecue outside, a Pimms stall, and traditional tea, cakes and sandwiches sold downstairs in the crypt. The annual May Fair forms a part of the larger Notting Hill Mayfest Every Thursday from 1-2pm, the church hosts free classical chamber music recitals, organized by local record label Music Chamber. Visitors may also enjoy free coffee, tea and biscuits. There is generally a retiring collection at the end of the recital.