Springfield Park is a park in Upper Clapton in the London Borough of Hackney in north London. The Park was formed in 1905 from the grounds of three private houses, one of which still survives as a cafe. It is a Local Nature Reserve.
Topography and Environs:
The park occupies 14.73 hectares (36.4 acres) and slopes from the high ground on the edge of Stamford Hill to the towpath of The River Lee Navigation on the River Lea. Situated on the other side of the river/navigation to the park is Springfield Marina, a large basin for narrow boats. The park is also adjacent to the Lea Rowing Club and Springhill Sports Ground, which is used by Hackney Rugby Club. The higher ground of the park affords views over Walthamstow Marshes to Walthamstow and north east London.
Sports facilities include five tennis courts, a bowling green and grounds for rugby, cricket and other sports on the wide flat area by the river. The park is home to Hackney Rugby Club, and planning has begun on a replacement for the rugby side's clubhouse, which was burnt down in April 1999. The Spark Cafe is housed in Springfield House, now known locally as the White House Mansion. Near the house is a large conservatory which was open to the public but has since been closed. There is a large pond and ornamental gardens with fountains and a children's playground as well as a bandstand.
The Capital Ring, a 121-kilometre (75 mi) circular walking route around London, passes through the park on the section from Stoke Newington to Hackney Wick, and the distinctive green signs can be seen in the park. Another walking route, the Lea Valley Walk, is close by and can be accessed via the River Lee towpath. The park received a Green Flag award in July 2008.