The New Junction Canal is a canal in South Yorkshire, England. It is part of the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation (S&SYN), although it was jointly funded by the Aire And Calder Navigation, and was opened in 1905. It links The River Don Navigation and the Stainforth and Keadby Canal with the Aire and Calder Navigation (Knottingley Canal). It is completely straight, and was the last canal built in England for commercial purposes.
The canal is straight for its entire length, and the surrounding countyside is relatively flat. It has one lock, five swing or lift bridges and is carried across two aqueducts. At its northern end it crosses the River Went, while at its southern end it crosses the River Don. The River Don aqueduct looks precarious, as the canal regularly overflows the eastern side of the structure, and there only appears to be railings preventing the boats from falling down into the river below. Both ends of the aqueduct are protected by large guillotine gates, which are there to prevent the river overflowing the canal when it is in spate, and flooding the surrounding countryside.
For the boater, the most notable feature is the complicated operation of Sykehouse Lock. The lock is automated but the control system is disabled until the manually operated swing bridge over the top of it has been opened.
The region through which the canal flows is sparsely populated, as there are no major towns, and just two main villages. The civil parish of Sykehouse, which includes a number of outlying settlements, straddles the northern end of the canal, and Kirk Bramwith is at the southern end. For much of its length, the towpath forms part of the route for the Trans Pennine Trail which joins it at Top Lane lift bridge, crosses to the east bank at Sykehouse lock, and leaves at Sykehouse lift bridge.