Mile End is a London Underground station in Tower Hamlets, East London, served by the Hammersmith & City, District and Central lines. It is in Travelcard Zone 2. The station was opened in 1902 by the Whitechapel & Bow Railway. Electrified services started in 1905. Services were provided by the District line with the Hammersmith & City line (then the Metropolitan line) following in 1936. In 1946 the station was expanded and rebuilt as part of the Central line eastern extension with services starting on 4 December 1946. The station passed to London Underground in 1950.