Limehouse Public Library in Limehouse, London was first proposed for construction in 1888, but the required finances could not be raised until 1900 when J Passmore Edwards was approached for assistance. He subscribed a sum of £5000, and he subsequently laid the foundation stone on October 19 of that year. The library was opened to the public in November 1901 by The Mayor of Stepney.
More recently usage of the Grade II listed building fell, and it eventually closed in 2003. As of December 2006 the local council were in the process of selling the building. It is currently boarded up to prevent vandalism. Outside formerly stood a statue, erected in 1988, of Clement Attlee, who was Labour Member of Parliament for Limehouse from 1922 to 1950, and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1945 to 1951. In April 2011 the statue was unveiled in its new position less than a mile away at Queen Mary University of London, in Mile End.