Hoxton Square is a garden square situated in Hoxton in the London Borough of Hackney, in London's East End. Laid out in 1683, it is thought to be one of the oldest squares in London. At one time home to industrial premises, since the 1990s it has become the heart of the Hoxton arts and media scene, as well as being a hub of the thriving local entertainment district. Since the year 2000 the square's buildings, largely of Victorian vintage, have become host to a variety of bars, restaurants and clubs.
Hoxton Square was laid out by Samuel Blewitt and Robert Hackshaw, who leased the land from the Austen family in 1683. Hoxton and Charles Squares, as well as being fashionable neighbourhoods, were centres of non-conformist sects. From 1699 to 1729 an Academy, offering a wide curriculum and also allowing "free enquiry" by its students, was situated in the square. Samuel Pike, who lived in a house in the square, offered theological teaching from 1750. Samuel Morton Savage opened his Hoxton Square Academy there. The Academy closed in 1785.