Grange-over-Sands is a town and civil parish by the sea – with a wide tidal range, hence the "sands" name – in Cumbria
. Grange-over-Sands was created as an urban district in 1894 and lies historically within Lancashire
. In 1974 Cumbria was created under Local Government re-organisation which absorbed the area referred to as "Lancashire North of the Sands" or North Lonsdale. Grange is now in South Lakeland District. The town remains part of the County Palatine of Lancashire and is part of the Duchy of Lancaster
The town is a centre for tourists exploring the southern Lakeland fells. Within the town itself there is an ornamental duck pond and a traffic-free promenade.Above the town is Hampsfield Fell (generally abbreviated to Hampsfell), crowned by 'Hampsfell Hospice', a sturdy limestone tower monument offering shelter to the rain-drenched walker, as well as the finest viewpoint of all the foothills of the outlying southern Lakeland fells. On the roof, a large compass pointer and list of peaks identify the greater and lesser landmarks in the magnificent panorama. Inside, painted boards commemorate its construction, praise the view and welcome the visitor.
Adjacent to Grange are Lindale, to the north-east, Cartmel to the north-west, with its priory to which The Village
was once the 'grange' or farm, and Allithwaite to the west. The country house Holker Hall, which was built on land which once belonged to the priory, is nearby. Until its move to Backbarrow
in 2010, the stables at Holker Hall housed the Lakeland Motor Museum.