Stanley is the capital and only true city in the Falkland Islands. It is located on the isle of East Falkland, on a north-facing slope in one of the wettest parts of the islands. At the 2006 census, the city had a population of 2,115. Today, Stanley is the main shopping centre on the islands and the hub of East Falkland's road network. Attractions include the Falkland Islands Museum, Government House – built in 1845 and home to the Governor of the Falkland Islands (currently Nigel Haywood) – and a golf course, as well as a whalebone arch, a totem pole, several war memorials and the shipwrecks in its harbour.
The Falkland Islands Company owns several shops and a hotel. Stanley has four pubs, eleven hotels & guesthouses, three restaurants, a fish and chip shop and the main tourist office. There are three churches including the Anglican Christ Church Cathedral, the southernmost cathedral in the World. The cathedral makes tiny Stanley a city. A grim reminder of the minefields to the south is the bomb disposal unit.