The County Ground
is a cricket ground in Swindon
. The ground is located to the north of the County Football Ground used by Swindon Town. The ground was established in 1866, when Great Western Railway Swindon played Welsh Wanderers.The first Minor Counties Championship match played on the ground was in 1897 between Wiltshire and Glamorgan. From 1897 to 1998 it hosted 84 Minor Counties matches, with the last being against Wiltshire and Wales
In 1967, the ground hosted its only first-class match to date between a combined Minor Counties team and the touring Pakistanis.The first List-A match played on the ground came in the 1970 John Player League between Gloucestershire
. Gloucestershire used the ground for seven List-A matches from 1970 to 1992. Wiltshire used the ground in two List-A matches against Northamptonshire
in the 1983 NatWest Trophy and Leicestershire
in the 1984 NatWest Trophy.
The ground has also played host to two international matches. Firstly in the 1982 ICC Trophy between Bangladesh
and East Africa
and secondly between Canada
and Gibraltar in the 1986 ICC Trophy.In local domestic cricket, the County Ground is the home ground of Swindon Cricket Club.